Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio is Sapporo City’s Public Artist-in-Residence as cultural platform. By making use of the special features of the facility, which is designed for medium to long term stays, Sapporo City supported art and cultural activities with the unique approach of offering low accommodation fees to artists and creators who could thereby have greater opportunities to stay and produce works in Sapporo City. Furthermore, organizers and crews of Sapporo Tenjinyama Art studio as Artist-in-Residence with 13 studio apartments in this facility enable multiple artists to stay at the same time, comprehend and respect the self-organized activities of artists and creators from anywhere, including from within Sapporo, from around Hokkaido, and extending inside and outside of Japan. These experienced staff based on-site, support visitors by advising artistic research, stimulating and coordinating activities with local communities, Sapporo City and Hokkaido, as well as supporting production of works in daily lives.
Conditions of Applicants:
Any nationality of practitioner (artist, curator and organizer) and researcher in multiple fields who are 18 years and older.
- Basic living products, tools, furniture, equipment, internet and rental cycles are available.
- Language: Japanese and English
- Group and family are welcome
SELF FUNDING PROGRAM
Facility users can freely schedule time and length of their residency (24h a day/ up to 90 days). Any costs including studio, transportation, production and living are users’ own expenses. In order to use, facility user must apply for the studio apartment on their own.
- a site for research within Sapporo, Hokkaido and Japan.
- a site for focusing on producing works in extraordinary environments and cultural settings.
- a dialogue with other artists who are visiting at the same time with local community.
- a sabbatical site to build careers with long term stays.
- for organizers of art and cultural events in Sapporo who seek a facility as a guesthouse or camp site for staff and participants.
Art and cultural programs are everywhere throughout the year in Sapporo. Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio is welcoming artists, creators and organizers who are involved in these programs and projects. By using this facility, visitors are able to meet and have a dialogue with other artists and creators who are staying at the same time.
STEP TO A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION
- Check vacancy of studio apartment ▶Studio Apartment Availability
- Fill out application form ▶Application (WORD) / ▶Application (PDF)
- Apply with application form and necessary documents
firstname.lastname@example.org / Fax 011-820-2142 (from Japan), +81-11-820-2142 (from outside of Japan)
- Receive notice of processing
- Process of acceptance by director and Sapporo city
- Receive acceptance notice
- Prepare to go
flight ticket, application of Passport / Visa, sheets – update your condition to Tenjinyama
- Go to stay at Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio!
INTERNATIONAL OPEN CALL PROGRAM
International Open Call program is offered once a year for 3 artists with selection by jury of artists and curators working internationally. Selected residents are invited for 6 weeks during winter season (January to March), to work and exhibit their works at the end of the program. Residents will be awarded free studio apartments and part of production fees. Application period is in fall of the previous year.
In the future, the Networking Program aims to develop alternative relationships between domestic and international art and cultural institutions between domestic and international art and cultural institutions to realize reciprocal exchanges between artists and creators from different countries. In its first year, the program has realized exchanges involving 3 artists / a year from different countries.